Top 10 reasons to wear bamboo
Be good to yourself and the world. Find out why you should be investing in some of the seriously cool bamboo garb going around...
Bamboo looks from Armani Privé's Spring 2015 Haute Couture collection (AFP/Getty Images)
1. Bamboo is uber-soft, comforting and comfortable to wear
2. The material is naturally anti-bacterial and washes well
3. It has inbuilt UV protection; perfect for summer
4. Bamboo is fast-growing and replenishes much more easily than other crops
5. It doesn’t require much water for growth, unlike the insatiably thirsty cotton plant
6. Bamboo absorbs more carbon dioxide and releases 35% more oxygen into the atmosphere than an equivalent band of hardwood trees
7. There’s very little waste. After harvesting, virtually every part of the plant is used - to make mulch, beautiful furniture or clothing
8. Bamboo doesn’t need fertilizers or pesticides to thrive, unlike many cotton crops
9. It provides for economic development in countries that desperately need it. Bamboo can also grow in quite arid, drought-affected areas.
10. Finally, there are lots of cool labels producing gorgeous & delicate designs from bamboo, from the high street to these incredible looks from Armani Privé (above). Be fashion eco-conscious
Grace & Green are dedicated to helping change the world, one period at a time. Find out more here.